For Women: What To Eat For PMS

Sure, we all know that being a woman is truly uncomfortable once a month, but if you're eating the right kinds of foods and vitamins, you'll have fewer side effects and barely notice your Aunt Flo.



I've been doing research on this post for about three months.  It started out as a personal need.  I'll be 100% honest- I get horrible cramps and nausea when I'm PMSing.  Like, skipping work, laying in bed with a heating pad on my abdomen kind of sick.  It's awful.  At least, it was.  Now that I've found a healthy way to have a far less painful period, I'm much more productive and happy during those few days that I'm riding the crimson wave.

My research gave me a few ideas and I soon began to develop a recipe that would aid in my journey.  Some of the things that seemed to be across the board with multiple sites were these suggestions:
-Limit your caffeine intake (it causes your blood vessels to constrict, which will add to the pain)
-Leafy Greens (spinach, kale, etc)
-Yogurt (all the probiotics help keep your digestion regulated)
-Lean Meat (no beef!)
-Omega 3s (fish or vitamins)
-DRINK A LOT OF WATER, contrary to popular belief, it actually helps keep you from feeling so bloated

I basically made sure to avoid any caffeine other than a green tea once a day, sometimes less.  I also began to take a multivitamin, a few of the websites suggested an iron capsule, as well, so I'll take that once a day.  Here's what my meal plan will look like for the period week:
Breakfast- Shakeology with Banana and natural Peanut Butter
Snack- Apple (I usually do some cheese, but avoid dairy during PMS because it causes cramps)
Lunch- Turkey Wrap on Whole Grain wrap with Kale, Tomato, Plain Greek Yogurt and Turkey
Snack- Maybe some crackers or fresh vegetables
Dinner- Whole Grain Medley by Simply Balanced (available at Target) with Chicken, Red Onion and Spinach
After Dinner- Greek Yogurt cup with fruit, Multivitamin and Iron capsule

So what have my results been like?  I have more energy, and while I still feel a little queasy when I get my flow, I've found that taking a short nap with a heating pad on helps!  Then I'm right back to work.  Another thing is to not sit out on your exercise.  That will also help with keeping your cramps at bay.

I'm adding a few links to the sites that I found to be most helpful:
Huffington Post
SheKnows
Fitness Magazine
All Women
Women's Health Magazine
WebMD
Cosmopolitan

Comments