Sparkly's Guide to Online Dating: "How did you meet?"

If things go well with an online match and you start going out together with groups of friends, you're inevitably going to have to answer the question "How did you two meet?"  It's okay to not want to admit to having found each other online but don't make up some really insane story that will fall apart at the seams.



How do you tell your family that you met your boyfriend online?  Just do it.  They might not truly understand why you were using an online dating service, but they will appreciate your honesty.  You can even tell them all the steps you took to be cautious in the beginning.  My parents are well aware of the fact that I jump on a dating site once in while.  I'm sure they'd prefer it if I dated someone I knew through friends and social activities, but the truth is that while I might meet men, I rarely meet one that I find to be interesting enough to want to spend more time getting to know.  Really, though, honesty is always the best option.

How do I tell my grandparents I met someone special online?  Ahh, grandparents. I love mine.  They will understand even less about your online dating reasons, I'm sure.  So you can tell them "Oh we met at the coffee shop" (or wherever your first date was.  Full honesty is okay here, too.  You know the grandparents you have.

Will my friends judge me for meeting someone online?  I doubt it.  Especially if they already knew that you were on a dating site.  They might be surprised at first, but really, they'll be okay with it.

This concludes my Online Dating Guide series!  Be sure to send me an email if you have other questions about any of the posts from this series at sparklyinthecity@gmail.com

Sparkly's Guide To Online Dating:
Choosing the Right Site
The Profile
Communicating
Are They Married?
Safe Date Practices

Comments