Adventures of Sparkly In The City: Speed Dating



Not too long ago and friend and I had talked about giving speed dating a try.  We were both tired of being around some of the same people.  People who didn't seem interested in actually finding a serious relationship.  So we signed up for a local speed dating event.  I figured that the cost for the event wasn't any more than I would spend on a night going to a sporting event (actually- less because I didn't have to pay for parking, drinks, or anything else).

When we arrived, there were a few people already at the venue, but just a few.  The hostess got us signed in and gave us our name badges, that also included a specific table number.  We went to the bar to grab a couple of drinks where one of the guys from the event graciously paid for us.  A few minutes later, we were all seated at our tables and the hostess rang the first bell.

The men that I met were funny and I found it fairly easy to hold a conversation with most of them.  We each would talk about our jobs and hobbies.  Most of the guys seemed a tiny bit introverted and could tell that most of them weren't the kind who found it easy to approach women on a regular basis.  At the end of the five minutes, I would write down a few notes in my Date Card, next to the appropriate name and then the next guy would take a seat across from me.

In the middle of the event there was a short break, enough time to talk to my friend and hear about the guys she had met and give her a summary of those I'd spoken with.  Round 2 began and before I knew it, the event was over.  The entire thing took almost 2 hours.  Well worth my time, I thought.  I had gone into the evening thinking that even if I didn't meet anyone I wanted to see again then I would at least have a good story.

I have to say, I really liked speed dating better than the online dating I've done.  I'll give you a few reasons why:
1.  You know what they look like.  There's no hiding behind photoshop or perfect selfies.  You can't lie about your laugh lines or height.  The person sees you exactly as you are.  There aren't any physical surprises.
2.  You get to hear their inflection as they tell you who they are.  How many times do we judge someone while reading through their online profile?  In the speed dating, you can listen to how they describe their job, can tell what they're truly passionate about, and see if they have a personality that you enjoy.
3.  It's only five minutes.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone on a dinner date with someone I met online and by ten minutes into the date was looking for an exit.  This saves everyone some time because then you don't have to feel bad about faking an illness or emergency when you want to leave.

Those are just the top reasons why I like speed dating.  Everyone that I met was pleasant and they were all there for the right reasons-to find a relationship.  Even online that's something that people aren't always looking for.  So, if you're in Dallas, and you're single.  I suggest giving speed dating a try.  At least just one time- you never know who you might meet!

Comments